Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Machu Picchu > Pompeii

Sunday morning I woke up bright and early in Cusco ready to check off another item on my Bucket List - Machu Picchu! Gilmar and I drove to Ollantaytambo and boarded the Vistadome train for our scenic transfer to Aguas Calientes at the foot of Machu Picchu. We didn't waste any time upon arrival and went straight up to the site. You climb up a curving staircase, about a 3 min walk, and turn the corner to find the grand Machu Picchu image you see in pictures staring you in the face. "I might start crying," I told Gilmar and seriously thought I was going to. Machu Picchu epitomizes the saying "photos don't do it justice"... and by the way neither does Where in time is Carmen Sandiego?.  So many times we would just stop walking and gaze. I asked Gilmar if it ever got old, coming to Machu Picchu once a week, and he said that it's a dfferent experience every time. I don't doubt it.  So I had been advised that instead of climbing Wayna Picchu (the iconic peak in the backround of the citadel), the better view is to climb Machu Picchu Mountain, on the other side of the citadel, as it is the highest point from which you can look down on Machu Picchu. I don't think Gilmar was too thrilled with my grand plan as it is almost twice as long a hike and sometimes you get up there and you can't even see down to Machu Picchu through the fog.  But I was not coming all the way to Peru not to try, so we decided if we were going to hike Machu Picchu Mountain, we might as well get after it.  It took us about an hour and 15 minutes to reach the top, sweating and out of breath.  No better way to get to know someone quickly, huh?  When we first reached the top, visibility was limited, but the clouds moved fast and we soon had the perfect view.

We spent the rest of the day hiking around the citadel. I'm sure Gilmar regretted telling me, "There's no such thing as a stupid question." (X, Rach, Mego & Kelly... we would have had a field day making up our own history here...)  Actually that's pretty much what I did all day while Gilmar just laughed or shot holes in my theories (shocking, I know).

I spent the night at the Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel.  Not as small as the Inkaterra in Cusco but also a very intimate, rustic luxury experience.  The Masias Family really did a fantastic job with these hotels! Inkaterra has a great three-tiered pool/hot tubs with water from the hot springs - so you can soak your muscles from your Machu Picchu hike without having to join the sweaty backpackers at Aguas Calientes.

Monday Gilmar and I took another hike to the Sun Gate (where Inka Trail hikers enter the site) and passed the final hours of my personal retreat at Machu Picchu. The Orient Express Hiram Bingham train was such an elegant way to end the Machu Picchu experience.  Gorgeous rail cars, a great bar with live music and friendly staff, plus an excellent dinner.  The Peruvian champagne they served rounded off my beverage tour; I officially sampled Peruvian wine, beer, liquor and champagne.  Would you expect any less?

I am so sad to say goodbye to Peru!  This was my first trip but certainly not my last.  I am already making a list of new places to go when I return, and next time I want to hike the full Inka Trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment